Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Bespinben

My guess is that the theme is "epically epic" (i.e. arrange a song you want as best as you can and the judging will be based on the quality of the arrangement)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Cobraroll

My original idea was that the judges decide and announce the criteria. If everybody arranged whatever they wanted, it would be hard to find a winner. The songs being arranged would need to meet a criteria, for example "gloomy", "scary", "jolly", etc, and people could fickle a little with them to put them into another category (for example, "take a scary song and make it happy", or "arrange an originally non-violin song for violin"). That would be narrow enough to base a judgment on, while wide enough to give people lots of choices.

I'd say it's up to the judges (UGC, Brassman and Dudeman, if I'm not mistaken) to get together and "build the framework". Then when we're ready, a topic is made. I'll send out PMs.

*starts to browse the Steam store, looking for ideas*
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Cobraroll

Okay, now we've had a round of arrangement contest already, and seeing as we have this fine thread lying around for discussing arrangement contests, I'd like discussion of future contests to take place here. Fling out your ideas, critisism, and suggestions as to what to do better this time around. Hopefully, we'll get more attention on the second try.

Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Bespinben

I wouldn't mind doing another "mood reversal" contest, now that I thought of a song I want to do.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

What about this odd competition: take a song in 4/4 time and arrange it into a waltz (3/4 time). Or all take a song from a certain game?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

I like the idea of waltz-ifying a piece, it would brove enough of a challange to alter the rhythms to work as well serving to create a proper waltz.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Clanker37

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 05, 2012, 03:30:11 PMWhat about this odd competition: take a song in 4/4 time and arrange it into a waltz (3/4 time).
I like it.

*Begins brewing idea cauldron*

Olimar12345

That sounds boring-It doesn't take much to just change the meter of a song...So far the mood reversal was my favorite idea...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

GoronsOrchestrated

Quote from: DrP on December 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
I didn't know he or those arrangements existed.

... ಠ_ಠ

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 05, 2012, 04:07:13 PMThat sounds boring-It doesn't take much to just change the meter of a song...So far the mood reversal was my favorite idea...

I actually thought the mood reversal was pretty awful. XD and I don't just mean changing the meter. I mean play with the melody and the tempo and the instrumentation to make it sound like a waltz. Eliminate some notes here and there, add a flourish, make it "bouncy".... I thought it sounded like a really fun idea.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

We should do something like, pick a style of music and make a vg tune fit that style. Essentially what you said with the waltz idea but more broad-say Pick a mario song and make it into a dixieland, or make a metroid tune into a march. Idk...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

That would be too hard to critique though as it would create far too much variety with no control. By choosing one style to work with everyone can choose which ever piece they want and mold it to fit that style. Otherwise it would just be "Here's Zelda in jazz" against "The Metroid Tango", they may sound good, but how can you say which one conquered their respective styles better? Watlzes are a nice medium that can accomodate most VG Music and we have a wealth of watzes to which we can compare against to judge if it was done wonderfully or haphazardly.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

GoronsOrchestrated

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 05, 2012, 07:02:48 PMThat would be too hard to critique though as it would create far too much variety with no control. By choosing one style to work with everyone can choose which ever piece they want and mold it to fit that style. Otherwise it would just be "Here's Zelda in jazz" against "The Metroid Tango", they may sound good, but how can you say which one conquered their respective styles better? Watlzes are a nice medium that can accomodate most VG Music and we have a wealth of watzes to which we can compare against to judge if it was done wonderfully or hapharzardly.
BIG WORDS ROCK!
Quote from: DrP on December 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM
I didn't know he or those arrangements existed.

... ಠ_ಠ

Jub3r7

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Olimar12345

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 05, 2012, 07:02:48 PMThat would be too hard to critique though as it would create far too much variety with no control. By choosing one style to work with everyone can choose which ever piece they want and mold it to fit that style. Otherwise it would just be "Here's Zelda in jazz" against "The Metroid Tango", they may sound good, but how can you say which one conquered their respective styles better? Watlzes are a nice medium that can accomodate most VG Music and we have a wealth of watzes to which we can compare against to judge if it was done wonderfully or haphazardly.

I meant have a fixed style and have the arranger choose the song.