News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bespinben on April 05, 2012, 12:36:34 AMI dunno if you guys are still worn out from having just finished the Waltz contest, but as for me, I'm already stoked for Arrangement Contest 3! I'm hoping everyone still wants to do "theme combination/counterpoint/polyphony".
The only thing wrong with the example you posted it that it isn't polyphony. Polyphony means there are two or more melodic lines happening at the same time. You just used the pokemon melody over the zelda background. In the music business, you can only copyright melody and lyrics-not background or chord changes. So you could legally call that an arrangement of the pokemon song and not have to give credit to anything zelda. :P
As for polyphony, fugues are great examples: See?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Bespinben on April 05, 2012, 12:36:34 AMI dunno if you guys are still worn out from having just finished the Waltz contest, but as for me, I'm already stoked for Arrangement Contest 3! I'm hoping everyone still wants to do "theme combination/counterpoint/polyphony".
Lol that's not fair you already have one!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 05, 2012, 09:57:21 AMThe only thing wrong with the example you posted it that it isn't polyphony. Polyphony means there are two or more melodic lines happening at the same time. You just used the pokemon melody over the zelda background. In the music business, you can only copyright melody and lyrics-not background or chord changes. So you could legally call that an arrangement of the pokemon song and not have to give credit to anything zelda. :P
As for polyphony, fugues are great examples: See?

Ah ok. So, if I may help solidify what the next contest would be, it would be a fugue contest in which one carefully combines two different melodic themes from a video game(s). I had a few reasons for posting that "example", one was for practice, another was to generate interest in such a type contest, and another was to get a better idea of what exactly the contest would be about. Thanks to your input Olimar, you fulfilled the third of those reasons.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MaestroUGC

Hmm, so would it be a fugue contest, because that implies something different and actually requires a great mastery of both the original piece, composition in general, and an even greater mastery of the instruments needed than presented in this last contest.

Otherwise just overlaying two themes together doesn't take a lot of work. Heck, I did that during this last contest, though I doubt people noticed.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

That competition sounds Absolutely Horrendous =P
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

A fugue is just an example of polyphony-we don't have to do fugues...
Marches are also a great example of polyphonic music(usually towards the end): start at 1:20
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Why can't we just take a song and arrange it for orchestra? No specific requirements? Can do anything? :P seems more fun.

Olimar12345

Just orchestrating songs seem incredibly boring imo...

SlowPokemon

I didn't say just orchestrating. "No specific requirements" involves creative freedom. The results would be more interesting to look at imo if everyone did something different.

Olimar12345

Eh....I'd still prefer themes.  :)

I like to write free atonal pieces, which I don't think would be very popular around here....

SlowPokemon

I understand the appeal, haha, but it's so limiting XD

Cobraroll

What about single instrument? Let's give the organ players out there something to practise? Or, to be frank, I've missed bagpipe arrangements of video game songs.

Percussion only? The contestants are only allowed to use Finale. The goal would be making the least cringe-worthy piece.

Or "extension"? Taking any in-game sound, at most ten seconds long, and make it a full arrangement at least 1:30 minutes long.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Cobraroll on April 08, 2012, 11:09:07 AMPercussion only? The contestants are only allowed to use Finale. The goal would be making the least cringe-worthy piece.

CYMBAL QUARTET! do it.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

MaestroUGC

That's not a bad idea, arrange a piece to be done by a single player, non-keyboard. Let's find those Paganini's and Popper's and give them something worthy of their talents.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Cobraroll

Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.