News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Arrangement contests - brainstorming topic

Started by Cobraroll, August 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exams are coming! When will you be finished?

Earlier than May 10
7 (36.8%)
May 10 - May 20
3 (15.8%)
May 21 - May 31
4 (21.1%)
June 1 - June 10
2 (10.5%)
After June 10
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

insaneintherain

Baritone saxophone all the way. Nobody steals my bari.

MaestroUGC

How about this, we limit the instruments that typically are solo instruments, i.e. stuff that Concertos are most commonly written for (violin, flute, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) and allow more for rare instrument choices (timpani, viola, bassoon, english horn, french horn) and leave the rest in the middle (cello, saxes, trombone, oboe, marimba, whatever else people want).

So we allow 2 violins max, 3 cellos, and 4 violas; divide the rest as such.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

K-NiGhT

Ok. So the limited instruments will be first come, first served?
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

I think not, we should allow people to sign up for them, then do a random drawing for who gets to do it. That's means have a back-up or two to work with if you don't get your first or second choice.

Cobraroll

The problem with this limiting is that people often overestimate their idle time. We had 11 sign-ups for the last contest. 6 handed in. Say that we have a couple of violin virtousos who would make awesome arrangements, but some slacker gets to draw the violin first, then his exams are coming and he ends up not handing in. That would be a waste.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

master_gamer38

I'm going to pop in and throw out the idea of SATB choir with piano accompaniment arrangement, but with original lyrics. It forces creativity with the lyrics while also keeping plenty of variety in there.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Bespinben

Quote from: master_gamer38 on April 10, 2012, 03:43:51 AMI'm going to pop in and throw out the idea of SATB choir with piano accompaniment arrangement, but with original lyrics. It forces creativity with the lyrics while also keeping plenty of variety in there.

This is the best idea ever. We should really consider this.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

*begins fantasizing about making an SATB + piano accompanimient + original lyrics version of some super sad song from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon :3 :3 :3*

What's great about this is my primary music experience lies within choir. Ever since I left for college though, I haven't had much a chance at all to do much of anything singing related, so this will definitely be a great outlet for my pent-up energies.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2012, 04:17:04 AM*begins fantasizing about making an SATB + piano accompanimient + original lyrics version of some super sad song from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon :3 :3 :3*

Parting. Go. Now.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Raymondbl

but he's not allowed to until it actually starts. 
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

MaestroUGC

That's good, but would we be judging on the lyrical content as well? I'm not much of a writer, but I can put text to a melody easily.

The thing is with SATB + piano is that most people here don't have the first idea of what the human voice can do, since they don't have experience either with a solo, small ensemble, or an entire chorus. I'm like Bespinben, my musical training was entirely in the choir with no outside help. An SATB choir is far more limiting than instrumental music because there are far more restrictions on what the voice can do, as opposed to a violin. Choral music is a far different beast than everything else.

insaneintherain

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 10, 2012, 02:06:43 PMThat's good, but would we be judging on the lyrical content as well? I'm not much of a writer, but I can put text to a melody easily.

The thing is with SATB + piano is that most people here don't have the first idea of what the human voice can do, since they don't have experience either with a solo, small ensemble, or an entire chorus. I'm like Bespinben, my musical training was entirely in the choir with no outside help. An SATB choir is far more limiting than instrumental music because there are far more restrictions on what the voice can do, as opposed to a violin. Choral music is a far different beast than everything else.
He's right. I know nothing about Choral Music at ALL.

Bespinben

Alright, so it seems that most of us are really liking the SATB choir + piano accompanimient idea. However, if we were to go through with that, we would need not only a sufficient amount of entries, but also judges who are experienced in the choral art. Thus, I would like to ask, how many people would seriously "like to" / "be able to" participate in such a contest?

Raymondbl

The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.