News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The UNOFFICIAL Undertale Arrangement Project

Started by Yug_Guy, September 30, 2015, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I keep the claiming system in place?

Yes. I feel better knowing that someone else won't try to arrange the same song as I am.
No. I'd like to arrange the songs I want on my time, not on someone else's whim.
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

braix

Quote from: ThePopStarDude on November 24, 2015, 08:10:27 AMI think I'm dropping Hopes and Dreams
Ooh ooh ooh ooh
Can I has?
Yug_Guy pls ;_;

P.S. I'll hopefully have a 'first draft' of "Shop" up today and have "Reunited" kinda finished by tomorrow
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Madmonk12345

Quote from: Zeila on November 24, 2015, 01:29:23 AMFeedback for Heartbreak

In terms of formatting, I added the measure numbers, got rid of the Pno abbreviation, changed the stem direction in some sections, fixed the title, tempo marking (once again I never played the game so it would be best for someone who has to come up with the expression), and copyright (although idk if the copyright is too low or not), wrote the section (and its second instance) from m85-92 an octave lower and placed an 8va, and tried to fit the piece into 5 pages.
Thanks for this stuff. Notepad 2012 doesn't seem to handle it for me.

QuoteYou also missed a note in sections like m1-6. Try comparing my edit with the original to see what is different and clarify what you hear.
Are you sure you heard two notes? I've been listening to it over and over, and I can only hear one on my headset. The closest thing I can hear is the higher pitch part of the 8-bit sound font, which is also the background line in the orchestral sections, and I'm pretty sure that the song doesn't need 21 measures of fifths for those.

Might you have better headphones than mine? I'm not using anything fancy. It also doesn't help that to me it really doesn't sound great with that note, but that could just be because I heard it without it first.

QuoteSome of the intervals between notes are pretty big so you could possibly raise the second layer on the 2nd staff up an octave (or two). Whatever works for you
I was considering this at first, but the overlap is bad enough in later sections as it is without raising things an octave. it would also mean that it would overlap with the melody later.
  • Why are there some places (such as m47/48) where there is a messo forte followed by a fortissimo? Is that intentional?
the purpose of that was to dictate the end dynamic of the crescendo. probably should have put it below the staff instead. Oops.
  • There are some spots like m54 where the dynamic change starts at the melody. Would you prefer it to be like that, or start at the beginning of the measure instead?
It would be OK there, but finale increases the sound of the left hand before its appropriate if I do that.
  • In some instances there are eighth notes that aren't beamed together (m100 for example). Was that intentional? Or was it the programs automatic response? Would it be preferred to beam those cases together? If it's preferred, then should the straight eighth notes also be aligned in a way such that it is 3 pairs of 2 instead of 2 pairs of 3?
programmatic. finale has all sorts of issues like that; layers are especially egregious about it.
  • Is it best to leave the rests in places like m1 as a half rest or should it be an eighth rest followed by a dotted quarter rest? Should the rests be hidden altogether?
I'm not entirely sure what the right thing to do here either. I tried to hide the rests because generally in music with multiple layers outside of Finale I don't see rests for the overlapping layer.
  • In m68, are those ledger lines legal? Or would be be best to put it in the 1st staff?
A better solution would be to change it from f clef to treble for the left hand in that measure; that way notes played by the same hand stay together.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: dinos24SP on November 23, 2015, 08:15:57 PM@Yug_Guy, I made a couple edits to "Run!". Let me know what you think - it's up to you whether or not you want to actually add them: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dheo31kyzqf56rw/Undertale%20Run%21.mus?dl=0  :)
You just added some extra notes that I missed, right? That's totally fine. I'll get it up soon.
Quote from: ProfCocoa on November 23, 2015, 10:23:25 PMI'm a noob, but I'll take Thundersnail if nobody else has already 8D I got here just in time when I finished and submitted by Determination sheet to realize that Maelstrom did it before me LOL
That's fine. Maelstrom won't be coming back to the forums for a while, so it's not like there's anything he can really do about it anyway. Plus, he's got more Undertale arrangements done, so losing one won't be a big deal. And yeah, I'll put you down for Thundersnail.
Quote from: ThePopStarDude on November 24, 2015, 08:10:27 AMI think I'm dropping Hopes and Dreams and SAVE the World, they are a bit too hard for a newbie like me. I'd like to take Thundersnail instead.
That's fine, I'll just give those songs to someone else...
Quote from: braixen1264 on November 24, 2015, 08:22:54 AMOoh ooh ooh ooh Can I has? Yug_Guy pls ;_;
...like braixen1264 I guess.
Quote from: Latios212 on November 24, 2015, 08:53:39 AMIsn't this piece in 3/4?
I personally think the song works better in 6/8. It sounds like it should be felt in two, rather than felt in three.

ThePopStarDude

It seems Thundersnail was already taken. Can I have Oh! Dungeon instead?
I DON'T NEED FRIENDS!
I'VE GOT KNIVES!

I'm out of knives.

Zeila

Quote from: Madmonk12345 on November 24, 2015, 08:46:11 AMAre you sure you heard two notes? I've been listening to it over and over, and I can only hear one on my headset. The closest thing I can hear is the higher pitch part of the 8-bit sound font, which is also the background line in the orchestral sections, and I'm pretty sure that the song doesn't need 21 measures of fifths for those.
I actually was talking about those, but in that case it is fine (with me anyways) if you leave it out then since you're the arranger my headphones are garbage anyways

Quote from: Madmonk12345 on November 24, 2015, 08:46:11 AMI'm not entirely sure what the right thing to do here either. I tried to hide the rests because generally in music with multiple layers outside of Finale I don't see rests for the overlapping layer.
Idk if you can do this in finale notepad, but if you press ctrl H, it hides the note/articulation/whatever for you

Quote from: Latios212 on November 24, 2015, 08:53:39 AMIsn't this piece in 3/4?
*facepalm*
That would save the trouble of beaming the eighth notes differently (not to mention that 6/8 is pretty much useless at that point)

Quote from: Yug_Guy on November 24, 2015, 09:06:39 AMI personally think the song works better in 6/8. It sounds like it should be felt in two, rather than felt in three.
It seems like it could be in 6/8, but in my opinion the melody is felt in three

braix

Here's what I did for "Shop" so far. I can't figure out the harmonies for the L.H. in the last measure though.

023: Shop
[MUS]
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: ThePopStarDude on November 24, 2015, 09:17:40 AMIt seems Thundersnail was already taken. Can I have Oh! Dungeon instead?
Done.

Also, I'd like to ask everyone to make sure that everything on the front page is correct. I've tried my best to keep up, but there's so many of you that it's getting kind of hard to keep up (which is a good thing - the more arrangers the better!). Also, thank you to MLF, mastersuperfan, and Zeila (plus others) for help with critiquing and fixing sheets. You've been a big help!

braix

All of mine all good. Only that "Shop" is now 'In Progress' but that doesn't really matter

Zeila

Quote from: braixen1264 on November 24, 2015, 09:27:35 AMI can't figure out the harmonies for the L.H. in the last measure though.

I believe this is what you were looking for

And no problem to whomever thanked me and the others for helping out!

Yug_Guy

Quote from: braixen1264 on November 24, 2015, 09:30:46 AMAll of mine all good. Only that "Shop" is now 'In Progress' but that doesn't really matter
Well, you do have a sheet to show off. I'd certainly call that "In Progress."

Quote from: Zeila on November 24, 2015, 09:53:48 AMAnd no problem to whomever thanked me and the others for helping out!
I.e. the creator and head of the Undertale Arrangement Project.  ;)

Enaryok

My Best Nightmare ever. Link of the WIP

Even the easier melodies are fucked up, this is absolute hell. I'll need help on how to make Finale play some sounds.

And, I'll claim 036 - Dummy! (I think when I'll be done with YBN, I'll be on the mood enough for this one)

braix

Quote from: Zeila on November 24, 2015, 09:53:48 AMI believe this is what you were looking for

And no problem to whomever thanked me and the others for helping out!
Oh thanks, that works :D
Updated that link in the previous post :3

JesterMusician

Are there any good, yet particularly difficult songs that are unclaimed or someone wants to drop? I don't have any right now and I'm interested in making another arrangement.

mastersuperfan

I'll claim Dummy! With Thanksgiving break, I'll have a lot of time to have some fun do some arranging and do future homework. It sounds easy (but then again, that's what I thought with Death by Glamour). I'm surprised nobody's claimed it yet, actually.

I'll also keep working on that 6-minute long, tear-inducing theme. I think the hardest part won't be the direct transcription, but instead deciding what voices to include. There's no way I can fit everything in two hands.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.