News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Recommend Underrated/Undiscovered Games Topic

Started by Olimar12345, February 02, 2016, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeila

Power Stone for the Dreamcast from what I remember was pretty fun to play, but that could just be nostalgia talking. Little Fighter (PC) is also pretty fun to play with friends and stuff. Power Stone is a 3D arena fighting game, whereas Little Fighter resembles beat 'em up games (it's not totally melee based)

I have no idea if power stone was popular back then. There's a second one but I never played it

Nitro Indigo

I just remembered THE DOG Island, a game with an art style based on those photobooks you see of dogs with big noses. Despite being both a licensed game and a Ubisoft kid's game, it's actually pretty decent. The story is... okay, I guess, but it does have an interesting Paper Mario reject character called Petasi, who's the deuteragonist of sorts. The music is great, and I don't know many games with a soundtrack focusing on acoustic guitars. It's also not afraid to say "die" despite its target audience, but at the same time, it's a really cute game. I just want to see more of this world, even without the license.
The controls, though... someone apparently thought that moving the playable character in the Wii version by pointing a cursor and pressing B was a good idea, not to mention that the dog's running is very slippery. There's also a PlayStation 2 version, but I have no idea how it plays.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Magic Mole

^ OMG LOL I never thought I'd find someone who had played that on this forum xD
I own the PS2 version. It looked dumb and I never wanted to play it, but somehow it ended up in my possession so I felt obligated to give it a try. As childish and cheesy as it seemed, the story had some pretty serious themes and it was actually a pretty fun game. I actually had no idea that there was a Wii version until you mentioned it, but yeah those controls sound like a nightmare. I don't remember having any problems with the PS2 controls but it's been a while so who knows ::)
I don't actually remember any of the soundtrack, though, so I'll probably go check that out.

Nitro Indigo

It's not as bad as it sounds, but that comes from someone who finds it hard to hate things. Apparently the Game Grumps played it?
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

mastersuperfan

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.

It's an amazing game that I've been addicted to this weekend. I just got it Friday and I've been playing it nonstop so much, I'm almost done...

It's quite similar to Ace Attorney and Zero Escape. If you're an AA fan, though, you'll find the difficulty very underwhelming (but I hear that the difficulty is brutal in the second game). Other than that, though, I think it even beats out AA.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Lol you don't need to be a jerk. I've never met anyone irl who's heard of it besides the person who recommended it to me.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 01, 2016, 03:27:16 PMwho hasn't heard of danganronpa?

Me, before I found it while browsing on Steam...?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 01, 2016, 03:56:19 PMLol you don't need to be a jerk. I've never met anyone irl who's heard of it besides the person who recommended it to me.
I only first heard of it a couple of years ago, and it was mentioned in the context of the anime. I didn't even know it was a game until a year after that. And I still know little about it. The Zero Escape series would probably have fallen into the same category if Blue wasn't a huge fan.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Still doesn't make it an underrated/undiscovered game. : /

(@ both)

Edit: Ninja'd
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Nitro Indigo

I just started watching a video about these.
I hope Solatorobo's on there! It's not...

EDIT: Why has TheJWittz been disabling the comments on his videos recently?

Maelstrom

Long list here:
Radiant Historia (DS) -- I think someone already mentioned this, but it has everything you want in a JRPG. (Relatively) deep combat, a great soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura which, imo, is better than any of the Mario & Luigi soundtracks. Great story, great script, great character art. Why was it ignored? It came out really late in the DS lifecycle, and was an Atlus game before Atlus was recognized as being that good.

Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS) -- I can't recommend this game to everyone. It's mostly focused around the combat and a rather barebones story up until the end. It could best be described as a mashup between classic dungeon crawlers and old-school JRPGs. Not for everyone, but, if this sounds interesting, definitely pick it up.

Beginner's Guide (PC) -- By the same creator as The Stanley Parable. Less interactive, and less humorous, but a much higher-impact story that can't be discussed without spoiling it.

Antichamber (PC)  -- Mindbending puzzles so weird they kind of cease to be puzzles and more messing with your mind to see if you can think abstractly. Highly recommended.

And a few games that aren't mentioned enough:
Braid (PC) -- An indie puzzle/platformer game that rivals the likes of Portal in excellent puzzle design. Lots of time manipulation.

Mother 3 -- 'nuff said.

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm going to recommend Organ Trail; it's like the Oregon Trail, except with, well, zombies! It takes a while to get used to the controls, but it's decently fun and has a lot of replayability.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel