The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

It is not, but I guess you could call that a tool that I do frequently use
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

PetrifiedLasagna

haha, I can hear the all the head scratching over my wifi.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 26, 2017, 03:31:58 PMGuessing where the theme is from and then going through soundtracks looking for it, what else
Quote from: Dudeman on April 26, 2017, 03:33:06 PMOh okay that's what I thought. For a moment there I thought you had a sooper-seekrit melody analyzing thingamajig that you used to win most of the rounds

lol, I was thinking the same thing when he said track-hunting. I daydreamed something similar to a database, "SELECT name FROM songs WHERE melody LIKE #1" :P

Dekkadeci

I'm surprised I recognize #6 and #8...and nothing else.

I will give 2 answers for #6 because I recognize it in both songs.

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on April 26, 2017, 05:05:39 PMlol, I was thinking the same thing when he said track-hunting. I daydreamed something similar to a database, "SELECT name FROM songs WHERE melody LIKE #1" :P
Great--my thinking process when I go track-hunting for these Guess-the-Song Quizzes is like "SELECT name FROM songs WHERE style LIKE [melody 1].style" (this isn't proper SQL, but it's easier to grok).

InsigTurtle

Alright y'all, I was at school 'till 9 PM, but I'm home now. So, the results.

Weapons Factory/Smithy's Factory - Super Mario RPG
3/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Mt. Pyre - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
4/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Another Dimension - Kirby's Return to Dream Land
4/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Link Awakens - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Love Theme - Mother 3
5/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Grape Garden - Kirby's Adventure
7/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Dragonspiral Tower - Pokémon Black/White
6/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]
Gerudo Valley - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
[close]
Final Battle/In the Final - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
[close]
Secret of the Forest - Chrono Trigger
5/9 people guessed this correctly
[close]

Average score: 5.67/10

And the winners are...
Spoiler
Dudeman, mastersuperfan, and Maelstrom in a stunning three-way of 8/10 each!
[close]

Some thoughts: I tried to make a quiz where the average score would be above half. Looks like it worked.
In spite of some of the music chosen being the most popular in its series, none of the melodies had a perfect score. That was to be expected, but even so, I think y'all did a good job. Also, someone might be hitting themselves for not recognizing something in particular...

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on April 26, 2017, 09:45:42 PMAlso, someone might be hitting themselves for not recognizing something in particular...
*smashes face with hammer*
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Dude and Mael, I hope you both realize that you could've gotten #1 just by googling "13/8 time signature."

(Not that I had to do that because I've played the game and listen to that track on a regular basis because of that badass time signature)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

GG guys, good round Insig, this game just gets better as it goes.

Now, time to torture myself with PL's round further.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

PetrifiedLasagna

I only recognized #8 from Insig's, because I simply adore that thilling, slightly swingy tune.

The funny thing about #6 is that I literally went through Kirby's Adventure searching for a song to play... And I listened to that song. As for #1 I have replayed that game almost as many times as there are Mario Karts, and I did not recognize it.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 26, 2017, 09:49:35 PM*smashes face with hammer*

*Takes hammer from Latios*

Edit:
"I literally went through Kirby's Adventure searching for a song to play", a week ago.

LeviR.star

The only soundtrack left that I really need to get to know in Kirby is Kirby Air Ride's, but I just got it the other day, so I'll soon be good.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: LeviR.star on April 27, 2017, 01:19:06 AMThe only soundtrack left that I really need to get to know in Kirby is Kirby Air Ride's, but I just got it the other day, so I'll soon be good.

Congrats on your soundtrack mastery.

I could say the same for Metroid which need to play Prime 2/3, and Other M (basically the newest ones).

Also, I wanted to quickly clarify that unless I sent a message otherwise, everyone's first guesses are correct. Hope I didn't cause any confusion.

Dudeman

This is a post for the record to say that number 2 and number 10 are both very familiar and thus I can be that much more frustrated when the results come out.

I currently have 4, btw, and another half a point (I think) for a similar piece from another franchise.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

PetrifiedLasagna

Time for the results of the quiz. I was actually expecting a lot more guesses, but I guess this is further confirmation that I have an unusual/obscure taste in video games. I'll let you guys be the judge of that though.

[MUL]Killer Instinct 2(a.k.a. Gold) - Tusk's Theme
0/9
[close]
[SNES]Nosferatu - Main Theme
0/9 (This was probably the most obscure)
[close]
[GC]Metroid Prime - Thardus Battle/Theme
0/9
[close]
[SNES]Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy (Overworld)
6/9
[close]
[PC]Orb - Main Theme
0/9
I thought this would get some considering, from my impressions anyway, that most of the users on this site are students(CoolMath.com) :P
[close]
[MUL] Tower of Druaga - Floor Theme
2/9
[close]
[MUL] Call Of Duty: Black Ops - Damned (Zombies menu/theme)
1/9
[close]
[MUL] New Rally-X - Main Theme
3/9
[close]
[PC] Undertale - Snowy
7/9
[close]
[MUL] Earthworm Jim - New Junk City
0/9 (Is there no love for the grooviest worm ever :o)
[close]

And the winner is...
Dudeman, with 4.5 points!
[close]

The theme was...
Want to try and guess first?
The theme was centered around games that are often dubbed "timeless classics." These are the kinds of games that you discuss/share with your friends,  and sit at home (or go to the arcade) and have a great time with the homies.

Accepted phrases would have been the above mentioned "timeless classics," as well as "Games with Friends," and other similar phrases.

Dekkadeci got the closest guess with "old-school video games."
[close]
[close]

What did you guys think? I promise, the next time I host I will try to make it less obscure. I am glad I though in Undertale and Yoshi's Island. :P

Dudeman

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on April 28, 2017, 05:52:03 PM
The theme was...
Want to try and guess first?
The theme was centered around games that are often dubbed "timeless classics." These are the kinds of games that you discuss/share with your friends,  and sit at home (or go to the arcade) and have a great time with the homies.

Accepted phrases would have been the above mentioned "timeless classics," as well as "Games with Friends," and other similar phrases.

Dekkadeci got the closest guess with "old-school video games."
[close]
[close]
See, for something to be a timeless classic, it kind of has to be...timeless. Ya dig?

Congrats to me for winning, but it feels empty, somehow.

Maelstrom

Timeless classics have to be regularly played today to be considered timeless classics.
I think you edged my first quiz in obscurity. Can we please tone it down a little? If you doubt at least 2 people will get it, don't put it on.

Oh, and I love MP's OST to death and I didn't remember that song at all.

mastersuperfan

For them to be considered "timeless classics," it's probably better if I've actually heard of the game first...

Anyways, though, without further ado:

MSF ROUND 2

This one has 15 melodies (yep, even more now), and I think it's a bit less obscure than my last one (you better get at least half of them Dudeman, you need to redeem yourself). All of these are from Nintendo games or from games published on Nintendo consoles.

As opposed to some of the recent hosts, I don't mind if the game you submit in your guess isn't the first game in which the melody appeared. This means that you can submit remixes in later games in the series or even from Smash; it doesn't make much of a difference since you can just search for the original track anyways.

When you PM me your guesses, I'll respond as soon as possible telling you how many you got right and, if any, which ones you got wrong.

Don't have fun! (As per Dudeman's order)

EDIT: One more thing: while the first 10 are relatively easy (at least, in my opinion), the last 5 are deliberately harder and less recognizable. Props to anyone who can get those ones (not that they're worth any more than the others).