News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roz~

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 12, 2012, 04:07:21 AMNo, but there's no reason for that much excessive swearing.

Well I think that if she was that pissed then it's understandable.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Mashi

I concur, I don't think that one's language usage is generally the first thing one takes primary focus on when angered.  I think that it's fine, so long as she's not directly cursing one of us out.  Cursing excessively provides the same kind of cathartic relief as screaming into a pillow, I feel.  Besides, this is The Rant Thread, after all!

SuperFireKirby

I don't think people are reading the "Don't Be Pricks" part of the thread title. Correcting someone's language when they're angry is kinda dickish unless there's, like, 5 year olds around or something.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

spitllama

I was never saying that it violated the rules! My comment was meant to allude to the fact that I found the post obnoxious to read and even elementary in its construction. In the end though, she can do what she wants.
And Mashi I would really disagree with the assertion that we don't think about what we say when we're mad. We're on a forum. We get to type, review, and even edit after posting. The impulse argument is invalid.

On a different note, though, today we reviewed and discussed progressivist ideals. The ignorance is rampant.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Mashi

I was originally going to post a comprehensive study that probably no one on the forum would understand, but then I found a study from Hong Kong, so I'm posting it: http://hub.hku.hk/handle/10722/31104

Weeee.  So the assertion that the impulse argument is invalid has been invalidated!!!

Here's the study I originally intended to post, by the way: http://www.ccbd.net/sites/default/files/bedi-33-02-108.pdf
I wanted to find a short one that just straight out said "Anger = Impulsive" online, but many of the articles I found ended up more intensively studying a different aspect of that.  I didn't want to use this study though, because it only studies elementary school boys, but it'll have to do for now.  Here's a different study that supports the case that age and anger show no correlation between adults, however: http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=utk_nurspubs  Interestingly enough, there was a  "propensity to overtly express anger, with younger women."

In conclusion, there is too much information on the Internet for me to easily find proof of a point. :(

spitllama

After skimming through the articles, I don't think you understand what I was saying:

Quote from: spitllama on November 12, 2012, 10:18:51 AMWe're on a forum. We get to type, review, and even edit after posting.

There are big differences between getting angry and speaking out of line, vs. sitting down at a computer and formulating a response after the fact. None of your sources addressed that. If they did, please point me to the sections.

Also this

Quote from: Mashi on November 12, 2012, 12:07:52 PMI was originally going to post a comprehensive study that probably no one on the forum would understand,

is horribly condescending.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Dude

Jub3r7

Says the guy who wants to completely destroy a whole region. :(

Quote from: spitllama on November 12, 2012, 12:38:55 PMAlso this
QuoteI was originally going to post a comprehensive study that probably no one on the forum would understand,
is horribly condescending.
anyways, I found an article that probably no one on the forum would understand (unless they cheated or something)

Also, spitllama, I think it could be considered a little bit degrading to have a rant described as elementary and obnoxious to read.
Profanity shouldn't be a big deal. Like you said yourself, she can cuss if she wants. Complaining about it doesn't ever accomplish anything.

Anyways, if anyone would like to continue this mode of conversation, you have to completely translate the portion of the article that I posted. It's in Afrikaans. Good luck.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Dude

the_last_sheikah

You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

Dude

Mashi

You're assuming that the angered person will formulate the response after the fact.  There isn't a big difference between speaking out of a line and creating a response on the computer in this circumstance; people speak out of line on the computer.  The only qualifying factor is the ability to edit a post.  However, chances are that the angered person will not be thinking of the edit button because he/she is still angry (catharsis provides relief, but it doesn't always rid of the anger!) and there therefore would not be an after the fact.

That's in jest.  Not everyone on the forum has taken a Psychology course.  If I'm going to post sources, it's best to make them easily understandable to the layman, hence why I wasn't inclined to post it.  I don't think anyone on the forum would have found it insulting had you not specifically pointed it out.  The article states things like this: There is a direct correlation between anger, aggression, and impulsivity.  An indirect correlation exists between anger and internal locus of control (thereby creating an increase of external locus of control).  Such evidence is provided by the random sample of elementary school students representing the population.  The manner in which the pathway to aggression were created were through cognitive schema and impulsivity pathway, as defined by the operationally defined variables.
Vocabulary Required to Fully Comprehend the Above: Anger (simple words like this have a more specific meaning in Psychology), Aggression, Impulsivity, Indirect/Direct Correlation, Internal/External Locus of Control, Random Sample, Population, Cognitive, Schema, Operationally Defined Variables.
See???

Also, Jub3r7, does frivolous count as a translation???
Also, omg, guys, I've discovered spitllama's plan!!!  He's ranting about people ranting in a ranting thread and is thereby accomplishing the purpose of ranting within the thread!!!  The rascal!!!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Mashi on November 12, 2012, 01:27:07 PMAlso, omg, guys, I've discovered spitllama's plan!!!  He's ranting about people ranting in a ranting thread and is thereby accomplishing the purpose of ranting within the thread!!!  The rascal!!!
It's so simple! How could we not have seen this any sooner!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

Quote from: spitllama on November 11, 2012, 03:14:00 PMWow language much?
Fuckadiddly fuckity fucky fuck!

I'll stop being a prick now. :3

SuperFireKirby

I think everyone needs to stop being a prick. -_-

Except Jub, since he easily won this dispute with his 100% relevant article.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!