Super Smash Bros Fisticuffs for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Started by Yugi, July 13, 2013, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What newcomer do you want to see as DLC?

King K. Rool
Snake
Geno
Shovel Knight
Banjo
Professor Layton ahahaha if he gets picked i'd be surprised
someone else i'm forgetting

FierceDeity

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure noc's question about ledgeguarding came from my using the term, so let me clarify
"Ledge guarding" used to refer to grabbing onto a ledge so that an opponent couldn't, and if they can't hit you off or land onstage when coming from offstage, they fall embarrassingly to their deaths. But since that no longer happens in ssb4 (now that you can steal ledges from another player), I typically now use it to refer to guarding ledges with attacks in a general sense, especially with moves like Captain Falcon's up and down tilts, and Little Mac's down smash. Not sure if there's a better term for that.

And yeah, a meteor smash (also known as a spike) offstage from ground level or below (on most stages, depends on the height I guess) will be an auto-death for all characters at or above I wanna say 50% damage or so? You'll frequently get kills far below that, but some characters have bamf recovery moves that make it impossible to kill them with it unless you can hit them directly offscreen before they can perform actions again.

As for why you should use it, if you have the opportunity to kill somebody at such a low percentage, you should take it, if that wasn't already clear lol

And yeah Toon Link has a meteor smash but it's pretty risky imo, because it's pretty easy to predict and air dodge a lot of the time, and missing your down air offstage is kinda gonna fuck you over

As far as I'm aware, these are the only characters without meteor smashes:
-Jigglypuff
-Fox, without custom moves
-Wario, without final smash
-Dr. Mario (though his back air is a decent semi-spike)
-Little Mac without final smash or custom moves (not that an aerial spike would be all that useful)
-Pac-Man without custom moves
-idk about mewtwo

And I don't think I have anything to add to these guys' explanation of tilts.

Example of all three in one sentence:
If you hit somebody just right by ledgeguarding with Captain Falcon's up tilt, you'll get a meteor smash.

mikey

ok!
one more question: Is there anybody who hasn't put in their smash 3ds code yet who wants mewtwo?
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 21, 2015, 09:18:06 PMOh yeah, I'm pretty sure noc's question about ledgeguarding came from my using the term, so let me clarify
"Ledge guarding" used to refer to grabbing onto a ledge so that an opponent couldn't, and if they can't hit you off or land onstage when coming from offstage, they fall embarrassingly to their deaths. But since that no longer happens in ssb4 (now that you can steal ledges from another player), I typically now use it to refer to guarding ledges with attacks in a general sense, especially with moves like Captain Falcon's up and down tilts, and Little Mac's down smash. Not sure if there's a better term for that.

Ugh, let me be an asshole for a second and correct you.

Ledgeguarding has always referred to keeping the opponent off the stage, whether it be spamming marth's F-Smash or jumping out and knocking them away.

The word you're looking for is edgehogging, which yeah, doesn't exist anymore.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FierceDeity

Oh wait nevermind you're right. I kinda second guessed myself because of this:
Quote from: K-NiGhT on January 21, 2015, 12:30:11 PMWell i don't think you have to worry about ledgeguarding, since that's not in Smash 4.
so I went with the whole "damage control by pretending to have been using the wrong term on purpose" thing

But then again I was never quite that sure, I suppose. The two terms are pretty similar after all haha.
And I guess technically speaking, edge hogging was a form of ledge guarding

Yugi

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 21, 2015, 09:30:55 PMok!
one more question: Is there anybody who hasn't put in their smash 3ds code yet who wants mewtwo?
I might use it

FierceDeity

I've come to realize I won't be getting a WiiU by the time this stops being available so yeah sure I'll do it if yugi doesn't

mikey

Whoever PMs me their registration code first gets mewtwo lol
unmotivated

mikey

unmotivated

Dudeman

Marth and Villager, off the top of my head. Wave 3 is gonna be super rare when it releases.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 21, 2015, 11:10:28 PMWhich amiibos are the "rare" ones
Marth, WFT and Villager are reffered to as the "holy trinity."
As of now, CF, Pit, and Little Mac
All the retailer exclusives in wave 3 will be incredibly rare. And everything else.  :P

Maelstrom

K-NiGhT

Pretty sure this is false, due to the fact that it looks like a shitty word document that anyone could have typed up, and the fact that I'm pretty sure Nintendo has stated that the wave is going to be released on the 1st.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

mikey

So like if you register both games does mewtwo just appear in both of them or what
(also whoever gives it to me I'll probably figure out a way to send you the OST after I've copied it onto my laptop)
unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 22, 2015, 12:07:07 PMSo like if you register both games does mewtwo just appear in both of them or what
(also whoever gives it to me I'll probably figure out a way to send you the OST after I've copied it onto my laptop)
it's DLC, which means you'll have to download it from online of course. It doesn't come out until sometime in the spring

also you may have missed the deadline
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

mikey

Oh shoot I did :X
I really like smash 4's music :/
unmotivated