[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - "Dragon Roost Island" (Replacement) by Zunawe & Zeila

Started by Zeta, January 26, 2016, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Dragon Roost Island
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: Zunawe & Zeila

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zunawe

This has been sitting in my files for some time, and every once in a while I open it, edit a couple notes, and close it again. I'm fully aware that it's sub-par, so if somebody would like to put their name in as a collaboration, I'm perfectly fine with that. Mostly, I just think the one on the site needs to go.

If this is the wrong way to go about this, let me know and I'll move to a new topic.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Zeila

I was thinking of replacing it soon as well, so I'm willing to collaborate with you. I already have two versions of it, so we can combine one of them with yours if you'd like. If not then here's some advice:
  • I think some of the bass notes are wrong (particularly m45-50, but it might be on other spots as well)
  • While the song repeats with the bass playing, it starts off at the beginning again. Just letting you know
  • The song would benefit if you added percussion in the beginning
  • Some accents would be good too
  • There should be a crescendo from m45-52
  • The grace notes should have slurs
  • In m72, I don't think that should be a grace note

Tobbeh99

I made a mus where I updated the formatting as well as some small editing, mostly moving some chords up 1 octave, they sound to muddy that far down in the bass register.

Here it is: [ZIP]
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zunawe

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 27, 2016, 07:48:30 AMI made a mus where I updated the formatting as well as some small editing, mostly moving some chords up 1 octave, they sound to muddy that far down in the bass register.
Molte grazie. I may mess with formatting again.

Quote from: Zeila on January 27, 2016, 12:02:52 AM
  • I think some of the bass notes are wrong (particularly m45-50, but it might be on other spots as well)
It looks like Tobbeh fixed that. Thanks, again.
  • While the song repeats with the bass playing, it starts off at the beginning again. Just letting you know
I just listened to it again; it does not. The repeat goes back to when the bass is first introduced. Unless the video I provided does not accurately depict how the music is played in the game.
  • The song would benefit if you added percussion in the beginning
  • Some accents would be good too
  • There should be a crescendo from m45-52
  • The grace notes should have slurs
I never got around to cleaning up articulations and adding dynamics. Got some of it, still gotta add dynamic changes and claps.
  • In m72, I don't think that should be a grace note
There are a couple spots a 16th note might be more accurate. I've changed that one, and I'll scan through again at some point to change graces to 16ths.

I used a few of your chords and such. I haven't changed the left hand to eighth notes yet, but if it doesn't sound too muddled I probably will. I also might add your right hand second layer in to parts that feel empty. You're name has been added for collaboration. Double Z's. Tanks for halps.

Updated.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Zeila

Quote from: Zunawe on January 27, 2016, 01:56:50 PMI just listened to it again; it does not. The repeat goes back to when the bass is first introduced. Unless the video I provided does not accurately depict how the music is played in the game.
What I meant is that it repeats through the entire song with the bass. When it gets to around m25/26, it's different. The video you linked is different than the one I looked at (I originally had it repeat where the bass is introduced as well), so I left it the way it is for now. I'm not sure which one is more accurate. Here's the youtube video to show you what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGGvsHq6iA

Quote from: Zunawe on January 27, 2016, 01:56:50 PMI never got around to cleaning up articulations and adding dynamics. Got some of it, still gotta add dynamic changes and claps.There are a couple spots a 16th note might be more accurate. I've changed that one, and I'll scan through again at some point to change graces to 16ths.
I added some articulation and dynamics, but not much. I also left it as grace notes for now

Quote from: Zunawe on January 27, 2016, 01:56:50 PMYou're name has been added for collaboration. Double Z's. Tanks for halps.
Cool, thanks! I looked at it more and updated the files with some stuff
  • Added an expression, changed the stem direction of the grace notes, and added a grace note in m14 (and it's counterpart)
  • Added some clapping in the beginning
  • You were missing an F in m12 (beat 3), and I added a C in m71 (and of beat 3)
  • There were still some wrong notes in the left hand from m45-end, so I fixed the ones I could hear. As for the chords, I mostly left them the way they are for now
  • There might be some other stuff I'm forgetting

Zunawe

I'm reasonably certain that the F and C are nonexistant. Also, I'd trust GilvaSunner's rip concerning looping. The quality is also much better.

I program things

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zunawe

Crap. I just uploaded the wrong sheets into this submission. Sorry.

EDIT: I had the PDF. That one's back.

I program things

Bespinben

My biggest concern here is in the nature of the arrangement itself. The transitions between sections are very jagged as a result of the methods used to incorporate various parts and combinations thereof. Try less to think of it as "flute + bass + uke = arrangement", and instead, deducing what the most salient features of those instruments are in order to form a fluid recreation of the work.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Tobbeh99

As Ben said the transitions sound very stiff and sudden. More specifically, the transitions: m. 26-27, 50-51, 58-59, 76 back to 27. Maybe have some chords (like the ukulele plays), when the long melody note fades out, to make it more smooth. Speaking of ukulele, I think you should incorporate more of that since it have such a big role in the song, if possible so to say.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Zeila

I updated the file with the following changes:
  • Added pan flute part to m5-8
  • Added the guitar part to the right hand in m26
  • Added an F on beat 3 m34
  • Added the guitar part in m45-50 (this sounds out of place, however. Any suggestions are welcome), and replaced the bass part from m59-end
  • Added an ending so that it doesn't end abruptly

Thanks for the advice! It sounds more fluid imo

Tobbeh99

measure 49-50, remove the accompaniment G's. That way you're indicating that the high should be held but the lower accompaniment notes should be played. Rather than now when you won't hear the G being held since the accompaniment notes play just after it is struck. 

10/10 tobbeh