LeviR.star's Arrangements - Finishing Off Dragon Quest (NES) ~ 2 New Sheets

Started by LeviR.star, November 18, 2016, 04:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Presenting my biggest Mega Man project yet, 3 years in the making...

EDIT: Wow! Right on 11 pages! Nice...

The Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge Arrangement Project

You cannot view this attachment.

Yes, it's finally here! The project that was, at first, a Mega Man 1 & 2 replacement project (which was finished in part last year) and then a misunderstanding-driven project for the entire Mega Man Game Boy library (which II and V may never let me do) until it was settled on as a project just for this game, only to be put off by my Castlevania: The Adventure Update, Deltarune contributions, and crazy-busy senior year of high school -- it's here at last! Starting with a meek post for a sheet from the game in my PA in November of 2016, and continuing with a secret re-formatting of all 18 of the sheets every year, it's almost unbelievable to think of how much I've learned on here since joining the site. Through this project, I don't think I've learned more about any other Mega Man game than this one!

But enough chatter, here it is...

The Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge Arrangement Project
[GB] Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge

106th (Re-Write)

Title Screen [ZIP]

67th (Re-Write)

Password [ZIP]

68th (Re-Write)

Stage Select [ZIP]

250th

Stage Select (Prototype) [ZIP]

251st

Stage Start [ZIP]

252nd

Stage Start (Prototype) [ZIP]

253rd

Elec Man Stage [ZIP]

254th

Ice Man Stage [ZIP]

255th

Fire Man Stage [ZIP]

256th

Cut Man Stage [ZIP]

52nd (Re-Write)

Boss [ZIP]

257th

Stage Clear [ZIP]

69th (Re-Write)

Get a Weapon [ZIP]

0th - 40th? (Re-Write)

Dr. Wily Stage Start [ZIP]

0th - 40th? (Re-Write)

Dr. Wily Stage 1 [ON-SITE]

46th (Re-Write)

Dr. Wily Stage 2 [ZIP]

258th

Ending [ZIP]

259th

Ending (Unused) [ZIP]

[close]

Here are some links to The Cutting Room Floor, detailing three sheets from this update in particular (thanks to their staff for making my sheet collection complete!):

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - Unused Music
Proto:Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - Stage Select

In this 250 Sheets special, I'd also like to thank Static, Sebastian, Latios212, WaluigiTime64, Dudeman, and others for helping me make this project a reality, and for helping me learn so much along the way! It has been a long-time dream of mine to make this happen, and without you guys, I either wouldn't have done this update, or I would have, but the sheets would be much, much worse. Your support means more than you guys might think; I will always appreciate it.

I won't have time or space to go into detail about the process for each sheet and everything I learned from this, but I hope you all enjoy the sheets regardless! When I come back to the Mega Man Game Boy library, I'll start on a lot sheets from V, some more from II, and release a few short updates for IV.

Until next time, I hope you all have fun learning about yet another game you never knew existed.™
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 07, 2019, 06:06:07 AMur mad gg

Thanks, Andy. Never change.

Hello! One more wave of NES Mega Man sheets for now: a collection of fanfares!

260th

[NES] Mega Man - "Final Stage Clear"

[ZIP]

^^ Don't try this sheet at home, kids.

261st

[NES] Mega Man 2 - "Game Over"

[ZIP]

262nd

[NES] Mega Man 4 - "Item Obtained"

[ZIP]

Heads up: this will probably be my last set of strictly-NES Mega Man sheets for a bit now, as I will now try to transition back to The Final Fantasy Legend, try some sheets from Super Mario Maker 1 & 2, and finish a few more from my "Unfinished" folder. As far as the Blue Bomber goes, I'm not sure which sheets I will be sharing with you guys from his series, but he's not being completely abandoned. Enjoy these sheets in the mean time!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

263rd

[SWITCH] Super Mario Maker 2 - "Desert (Super Mario Bros.)"

[ZIP]

Today we're jumping a day ahead of a release date! (I actually did this last week, but whatever). Koji Kondo has once again come back to create new themes for Super Mario Maker 2, themes made as if they were composed in the 80s and 90s. While I am nitpicking some of his decisions so far, I will say that I love this song, and that it screams "Mario deserts". There's several other new NES/Famicom-esque tunes I plan to cover from this game, including:

- Snow (Super Mario Bros.)
- Forest (Super Mario Bros.)
- Sky (Super Mario Bros.)
- Snow (Super Mario Bros. 3)

... but I need time to arrange them. For now, enjoy the "Super Mario Bros." Desert theme!

P.S: Sprite Database didn't have any Switch sprites (thus, no icon for it), so I went out of my way to make my own custom icon for the OP. Appreciate it.

LeviR.star

As promised, here are some more Super Mario Maker 2 sheets, which finish up the rest of the new tunes for the Super Mario Bros. style!

[SWITCH] Super Mario Maker 2

264th

Snow (Super Mario Bros.) [ZIP]

265th

Forest (Super Mario Bros.) [ZIP]

266th

Sky (Super Mario Bros.) [ZIP]

Some notes about these (a.k.a. answers to questions you never asked):

- in "Snow", the two parts collide when transcribed. In this case, I moved the RH up an octave instead of moving the LH down, because the RH is not the melody here
- in the "Name Entry" (from Vs. Super Mario Bros.) section of "Sky", I initially made up my own improvisations for the triangle part, but before I posted this update, I was playing and heard the Nighttime music box version of this, which had actually pitches assigned for those notes. So, I went in-between and combined the Nighttime verison and improv to make it playable/accurate

Not done with this game yet, folks! More original music for the Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World styles will be on its way here in sheet form soon enough! Enjoy...

LeviR.star

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 30, 2019, 03:41:59 PMMore original music for the Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World styles will be on its way here in sheet form soon enough!

Guess I was kidding, sorry...

267th

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Observatory Dome"

[TOPIC]

It had been a while since my last sheet from this game, so I decided to do something simple enough that I could finish, but complex enough that I would learn a thing or two from submitting it. The main focus of this submission will be figuring out the first measure...

268th

[3DS] StreetPass Mii Plaza - "Find Mii"

[TOPIC]

After almost exactly a year of hibernation in my "Unfinished Sheets" folder, with only the intro and the melody finished, I decided to take a crack at the rest for a hasty submission, and it turned out great! It's not often I take the time to do sheets like these, as help is so sparse, but I was not only satisfied with the first draft, I think it will be one of my higher-effort submission for this year! (Right up in the ranks with "Gladiator Kirby", maybe...)

I really can't predict what I'll be posting here tomorrow, so just take an educated guess. Enjoy!

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 15, 2019, 07:31:49 PMThe main focus of this submission will be figuring out the first measure...
I've got a version I did back in my last arranging spree in 2016 or so. I'll see if I can dig it up tonight or tomorrow and give you some food for thought.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on July 15, 2019, 11:08:09 PMI've got a version I did back in my last arranging spree in 2016 or so. I'll see if I can dig it up tonight or tomorrow and give you some food for thought.

I didn't know you had worked on it already... But I'd gladly hear your advice, Deku, thank you!

And here we are, with another sheet from The Final Fantasy Legend!

269th

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Eat the Meat"

[ZIP]

Ignore the weird title; it's really the Victory theme for battles, and it's officially named this.

Listening to the soundtrack for this game, I still see the chances of me arranging the entire soundtrack here, and they are very high. Just know that I'll be bouncing back and forth from this game to others, so it'll take some time. In the mean time, either enjoy this sheet, listen to this official album, or go eat some meat.

The Deku Trombonist

Yeah I have a folder full of stuff that I never posted. I'm slowly working my way through it to see what's worth posting and fixing up what isn't.

Anyway, here's the link. The layout still needs a little polishing but I won't really have time until the weekend.

There are probably dozens of ways that you can arrange the opening bar but I think the main things to bear in mind are making something that sounds good and isn't too ridiculous to play. Fancy flourishes can be a bit hard to execute for your average amateur pianist, so they're not always a good idea unless you're careful with how you distribute the notes between the hands. And transcribing exactly what's there won't always help you either. Try doing a rough transcription of the harmony and then messing around at the piano, you'd be amazed at what your fingers might come up with. And maybe consult some similar pieces and see what other composers have done? This track reminds me a little bit of Satie so he might be a good place to start.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on July 17, 2019, 02:57:03 AMYeah I have a folder full of stuff that I never posted. I'm slowly working my way through it to see what's worth posting and fixing up what isn't.

Anyway, here's the link. The layout still needs a little polishing but I won't really have time until the weekend.

There are probably dozens of ways that you can arrange the opening bar but I think the main things to bear in mind are making something that sounds good and isn't too ridiculous to play. Fancy flourishes can be a bit hard to execute for your average amateur pianist, so they're not always a good idea unless you're careful with how you distribute the notes between the hands. And transcribing exactly what's there won't always help you either. Try doing a rough transcription of the harmony and then messing around at the piano, you'd be amazed at what your fingers might come up with. And maybe consult some similar pieces and see what other composers have done? This track reminds me a little bit of Satie so he might be a good place to start.

Excellent, thank you, Deku! I'll bring your ideas to the discussion on the submission page.

Triple update incoming ~

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend

270th

The Top Floor [ZIP]

This sheet was a little weird to work with, mainly the LH, but I think I made the articulations clear enough for the performer, as well as the playing style for both hands.

271st

Sing (Unused Jingle) [ZIP]

From my understanding of this game's The Cutting Room Floor article, this jingle (NOT the "Game Over" fanfare) is exclusive to the Japanese prototype, but unused in the other versions, leaving it exclusive to the Sound Test. Originally, I measured out each note value accurately for this sheet, but then decided it was better as a single 4/4 measure with a molto rit. halfway through.

272nd

[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "Game Over" (Replacement)

[ZIP]

Almost every one of the on-site sheets from this game need to be replaced, and this was no exception. At least we can tell from the original sheet that it's not a MIDI dump, right? :)

Now that I'm back from my choir trip to New York City (the last official high school activity I'll be involved in!), I've got these 3 short sheets to share with you all today! You already know that I'm planning on making The Final Fantasy Legend a "dedicated game", but now I'm presenting my intent to arrange as many sheets as possible from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, including new sheets and replacements! I hope to make these two games my focus for at least a week or two. Enjoy these sheets while they're comin', because there will be a lot of them, trust me.

LeviR.star

273rd

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "The Bandit Cave"

[ZIP]

274th

[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "Within These Castle Walls"

[ZIP]

Not much to say about these two sheets, but I will say that I already have another sheet from FFL ready to post for tomorrow's update! (Likely to be paired with another CV2 sheet.) Gotta finish polishing them up, so enjoy!

LeviR.star

Two battle themes today!

275th

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Fierce Battle"

[ZIP]

276th

[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "Last Boss"

[ZIP]

I've got no intention of stopping this streak yet, folks! More sheets from these two games will be on their way for several more updates, until I run out of sheets from one of them. Enjoy!

LeviR.star

Man, this progress sure feels good!

277th

[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "The Silence of Daylight" (Replacement)

[ZIP]

This one was a little tricky at first. I transcribed all 3 parts, and found that to play everything at once would be impossible, so I simplified it down so the 2nd layer of the RH would be easier to perform, and still sound good. Turned out pretty good, I'd say! Some day, this abomination will be no more! Thank me later...

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend

278th

The Forbidden Tower [ZIP]

Another case of me merging the 3rd line with the rest of the song. I mean, it could have turned out worse...

279th

Obtain Special Item [ZIP]

After joining the SaGa Wiki Discord server, I was able to find out what some of these tracks were actually named. Thank you, SaGa Wiki team! (No thanks to you, gbelair3)

Expect more new FFL sheets and CV2 replacements tomorrow! I think I know which ones I'll be posting. Enjoy!

LeviR.star

please appreciate the title of this post im too proud of it

280th

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Wipe Your Tears Away"

[ZIP]

One of my favorite songs from this game. I've had this sheet in my folder for several of these PA updates now, as I was waiting to submit it, but I recently arranged another FLL sheet that I've decided I'd rather submit over this one.

281st

[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "Bloody Tears" (Replacement)

[ZIP]

Please note that this is an edit replacement (my first, actually); Maxime Laprade is still being credited, because the edits I made to this sheet were substantial, but there were not enough to warrant an entirely new sheet. But hey, look at me -- I'm arranging popular songs!

At this rate, there will be just two more of these FFL + CV2 updates, as I have only two sheets left from the latter game. Which is good, because then I can put my focus either on other games of the SaGa series, or go back to Super Mario Maker 2! The possibilities are almost endless, guys. Enjoy these while I find out which ones to do next!

LeviR.star

Okay, bad news now: I'm going to hold off on the last two CV2 sheets for a bit, as they're going to have to take a little more time and help than I predicted. Also, I've got plenty of other sheets I want to arrange while I'm here at college.

282nd

[SNES] Romancing SaGa - "The Conflict"

[TOPIC]

Surprise sheet from a Japan-exclusive SaGa game! I figured if I was going to start with any of the SNES titles, it'd be this one, and for a type of sheet that I don't make very often, the arranging process for this one went very smoothly.

283nd

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Prologue"

[ZIP]

With enough practice using the pedal, and some quick fingers, this sheet should be possible to play. And what a great opening theme this is, too! Beautiful work once again from Uematsu.

I've completely moved in to my dorm, and everything is set up the way I want it. I've yet to learn tonight if I've been accepted into the school's Symphonic Band, which may affect how often I get to arrange. Other classes, too, will take up a lot of my time, so I won't be making any promises for sheets for a while now. But you're free to look at the ones I've done recently, so enjoy!

P.S: I've added some stuff to the spoiler tags in the OPs. Check 'em out!