LeviR.star's Arrangements - Finishing Off Dragon Quest (NES) ~ 2 New Sheets

Started by LeviR.star, November 18, 2016, 04:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

And now it's time for Stupid Songs with Levi, the part of the show where Levi comes out and arranges... a stupid song.

284th

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Warriors Ascendant"

[ZIP]

In all seriousness, this isn't a stupid song. It was just one of those songs where I had to cut down on some parts to make it practical for solo piano, and I've already had to do that for several of the songs in this OST. As a matter of fact, I've been putting off these harder-to-arrange songs in this game for a while, so now from this game you're going to get a long stream of sheets I may or may not be proud of. Enjoy!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

Been doing a lot of sporadic arranging lately!

285th

[GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Main Theme"

[ZIP]

Yes, I know it's not going to be very easy to play. But I don't trust my own judgement at the moment to fix it while keeping the entire sheet consistent, so for now, it's kinda unplayable (or not). Have fun!

286th

[SWITCH] Super Kirby Clash - "Town (Beginning)

[ZIP]

I arranged a very similar sheet back over two years ago, and the fact that these two games are basically identical in premise with these two songs sharing the same purpose make them mirror images of each other. Granted, this one was a bit trickier to pull of, but what I've learned in transcription over the years helped me from letting this become a flop.

287th

[GB] X - "Totaka's Song"

[ZIP]

YouTube Link w/ Timestamp

And now, it's time for a song you all should know! The popular belief is that Kazumi Totaka first hid this piece inside Mario Paint, but that's a misconception; this here is the original you all should know about. I don't feel like I'm about to arrange any more from this game, but this here's a piece of history, so it had to happen.

I've got big plans for the next updates, so I won't be sharing those sheets until after I submit them. Stay tuned, and enjoy!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

288th

[GB] Tetris (GB) - "A Theme (Early)"

[ZIP]

This here ain't an official video by any means, but it's the closest thing to giving you an idea of what this is.

So basically, this was the OG "A Theme" for the Game Boy version of Tetris in its v1.0, before the game became super popular in its North American release. It's surprisingly easy to come across a ROM of this older version online, but out in the wild, a physical copy is a rare find. So I'm here to teach you that this very well could have become as popular as the "Korobeiniki" we know today, so appreciate this little composition of Mr. Tanaka. (Yes, we did the research, and concluded this isn't an arrangement of anything.) Enjoy!

LeviR.star

289th

[Wii] Mario Party 9 - "Museum"

[ZIP]

This sheet was simple, but a lot of fun! It's also my very first use of a fine in any of my sheets, so I guess that's cool, too. It's not often I arrange piano solos, but when I do, I get a lot of satisfaction out of it, and this is no exception. Hope you guys approve of my choice of articulations and dynamics. Enjoy!

Libera

It's a cute little piece!  If you'd like a small suggestion though, I think it should start in 4/4 but with a 2 beat pickup. 

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on September 14, 2019, 04:03:32 PMIt's a cute little piece!  If you'd like a small suggestion though, I think it should start in 4/4 but with a 2 beat pickup. 

I appreciate you offering a suggestion like that, and it does look cleaner than two bars of 3/4, but with all due respect I prefer the way it is now, because when the song loops, it is supposed to go back to the beginning, meaning that a pickup wouldn't work in that application; because of this, I don't believe the first two beats are supposed to be pickup notes. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Libera

Sorry I hadn't listened to how it looped.  If that's the case though then the use of Fine isn't correct.  Fine means that the piece finishes there the second time around which isn't what is happening.  The structure should probably be written in a different way, perhaps by just writing everything out in full.  You've definitely got the space to do that on the second page.

Regarding the time signature, it's definitely not 3/4 for the first two bars of the piece.  Compare the first two bars to the first one and half bars of the second page: the left hand is practically identical.  Since the piece does actually loop unlike how I previously thought, using a pickup doesn't work but there is an alternative.  I originally thought of just writing the first bar as a 2/4 bar, but that doesn't quite work either as then you have different barring for the exact same figure at the start of the second page.  Which made me realise that actually I think this piece would probably be better written in a mix of 2/4 and 3/4, rather than 3/4 and 4/4.  Here's a rough idea of how that might look:

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on September 14, 2019, 05:32:29 PMSorry I hadn't listened to how it looped.  If that's the case though then the use of Fine isn't correct.  Fine means that the piece finishes there the second time around which isn't what is happening.  The structure should probably be written in a different way, perhaps by just writing everything out in full.  You've definitely got the space to do that on the second page.

Regarding the time signature, it's definitely not 3/4 for the first two bars of the piece.  Compare the first two bars to the first one and half bars of the second page: the left hand is practically identical.  Since the piece does actually loop unlike how I previously thought, using a pickup doesn't work but there is an alternative.  I originally thought of just writing the first bar as a 2/4 bar, but that doesn't quite work either as then you have different barring for the exact same figure at the start of the second page.  Which made me realise that actually I think this piece would probably be better written in a mix of 2/4 and 3/4, rather than 3/4 and 4/4.  Here's a rough idea of how that might look:

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

That's actually a lot better idea, Libera. I like how that looks (it's not "rough" in any way), and I've updated my files accordingly. Thanks for your time!

LeviR.star

290th

[SNES] Kirby Super Star - "Way of the Fighting King"

[ZIP]

Surprise! A new Kirby sheet, and the first Kirby Super Star sheet in quite a long time. I've got some songs left on my to-do list for this game, and plenty more from other games in this franchise. So stay tuned, because I've got a lot coming at ya soon! Enjoy!

Zeila

Nice work! If you're going to end up replacing some of the older sheets on-site, then thank you. Some comments:
  • Idk if it's just me but the copyright has some weird junk text at the end for the musx file
  • Measure 9 RH low note on beat 1 sounds like a G instead of an Ab
  • Measure 11 is listed as 4/4 even though there are 8 beats, although maybe it could just be 6/4 then 2/4 instead of 8/4 or two measures of 4/4
  • Measure 14 RH I think the C on beat 6 should be an F (and there's a harmony below it that plays Bb -> F but it's fine if you don't want to include it)

LeviR.star

Quote from: Zeila on September 15, 2019, 11:51:52 PMNice work! If you're going to end up replacing some of the older sheets on-site, then thank you. Some comments:
  • Idk if it's just me but the copyright has some weird junk text at the end for the musx file
  • Measure 9 RH low note on beat 1 sounds like a G instead of an Ab
  • Measure 11 is listed as 4/4 even though there are 8 beats, although maybe it could just be 6/4 then 2/4 instead of 8/4 or two measures of 4/4
  • Measure 14 RH I think the C on beat 6 should be an F (and there's a harmony below it that plays Bb -> F but it's fine if you don't want to include it)

- I know about that, but I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Best I can do is make sure it doesn't export with the PDF
- you're right, thanks for pointing that out!
- I had discussed part of this sheet with Latios before, when it had two bars of 4/4, and he advised an 8/4 bar. I mean, any way could go, really, but the systems look pretty evenly distributed right now as-is, so thank you anyway
- I'm not sure what you're hearing, but I definitely hear the C that I have, and that Bb -> F harmony is already covered by the LH. Than you for the suggestion, though

Thanks for taking the time to check my sheet, Zeila! And concerning replacements for this game, Yug Guy's already got some in his PA, if you're interesting in looking at those. I'll do what I can to contribute to the Kirby section sufficiently.

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 16, 2019, 06:24:00 AM- I had discussed part of this sheet with Latios before, when it had two bars of 4/4, and he advised an 8/4 bar. I mean, any way could go, really, but the systems look pretty evenly distributed right now as-is, so thank you anyway
- I'm not sure what you're hearing, but I defin

I think Zeila is just saying that bar 11 erroneously claims to be a 4/4 bar when it in fact is an 8/4 bar.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on September 16, 2019, 07:11:59 AMI think Zeila is just saying that bar 11 erroneously claims to be a 4/4 bar when it in fact is an 8/4 bar.

Ohhh, I see what happened here. That darn "display as a different time sig" option must've been set to 4/4... my mistake. I'll get to that today when I can, thanks!

LeviR.star

291st

[GB] Kirby's Pinball Land - "Ending"

[ZIP]

I'm sorry, guys; I forgot that I had this one almost finished in a nearly 2 year-old draft, so I cleaned it up and this was the result. The unused extension is kinda hard to play at the tempo it's given, but you won't normally hear it in-game, so playing it is entirely optional; it's more there to show off the line that overlaps the melody beforehand anyway. Enjoy, and I'll get to work on whatever's coming next!

LeviR.star

There's a few sheets of mine floating around the forums that aren't in here yet, so here they are!

One posted in the "Unofficial Deltarune Arrangement Thread"...

292nd

[MUL] Deltarune - "Lost Girl"

[ZIP]

... and the other two in submissions!

293rd

[SNES] ActRaiser -  "Birth of the People"

[TOPIC]

294th

[3DS] Team Kirby Clash Deluxe - "Quest Board"

[TOPIC]

If you want my specific thoughts about each of these sheets, just check out the boards they were first posted in. Gotta get to class now -- enjoy!